With over 10 years of working in the business, here’s what I learned:
(no particular order)
1. Networking leads to 95% of your jobs.
2. Never email someone your honest thoughts about them.
3. Spend every day practicing your craft.
4. Build yourself like a BRAND.
5. Always write thank you notes/emails. Be humble.
6. Go above and beyond what they ask for.
7. Show up early and stay late.
8. Do your own work on the side but don’t let it interfere with you “job”.
9. If your unemployed, take the time to regroup and NETWORK.
10. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s impossible.
11. Don’t focus on negative feedback.
12. Make a website for yourself (Brand building)
13. Heavily involve yourself in a group or network.
14. Always polish the resumé.
15. Don’t shy away from taking free work.
16. Surround yourself with positive people.
17. Help students (once you become knowledgeable and on top of the world) – give back!
18. NEVER do it for the money.
19. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s probably not. Run.
20. Quietly absorb other people’s knowledge, but don’t be annoying with 100 questions.
21. Spend time with family and friends.
22. Get a mentor!
23. Don’t allow yourself to be professionally abused – stand up for yourself.
24. Make yourself present on LinkedIn.
25. Be True To Yourself.